The Signs Of Austin

Güero's Taco Bar

1412 S Congress Ave

A South Congress staple, Güero’s originally opened on E. Oltorf in 1986, occupying the current Curra’s Grill building. Cathy and Rob Lippincott moved Güero’s to its current location in 1993. Their new spot remains one of the oldest buildings in South Austin, which operated as Central Feed and Seed since the 1920s. When the Lippincotts moved, South Congress had become run-down, and Güero’s became a big part of the area’s revitalization. Rob Lippincott passed away in 2022, and his daughters, Lyle and Bette, continue to run the family-owned business. A boutique hotel is under construction on land owned by the family behind the restaurant.