The Signs Of Austin

Magnolia Cafe

1920 S Congress Ave

The Magnolia Cafe story actually begins with Ken Carpenter and the original Omelettry restaurant on Burnet Road. Carpenter opened a second location of the Omelettry on Lake Austin Boulevard in 1979 with Patricia and Kent Cole. After the Coles’ divorce a few years later, Patricia started Kerbey Lane in 1980, and Kent took over the operation of Omelettry West. Kent later renamed it the Magnolia Cafe and added a south location in 1988. Their sign on South Congress was a joint collaboration between local sign painter Gary Martin and neon artist Evan Voyles.