The Signs Of Austin

Hut's Hamburgers

807 W 6th St

There are two histories to tell—the story of the building and the story of Hut’s. Both involve hamburgers. The Joseph family owns the building at 807 W 6th, the same family that ran Favorite Liquor (another Sign of Austin and now Favorite Pizza). In 1939, Sammie Joseph opened a drive-thru burger joint in the Hut’s building called Sammie’s, which later became Eli’s Lounge and the Picante Restaurant. The original Hut’s Hamburgers opened in 1939 on South Congress until Homer “Hut” Hutson bought the lease from Joseph and moved in 1969. Kim and Mike “Hutch” Hutchinson took over Hut’s in 1981 and ran it for 38 years before serving their last burger on October 20, 2019. The only remaining Hut’s location is at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.